Bariatric surgery can change the life of those who want to lose weight. Did you know that it is much healthier than losing weight?
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse the products or services of the Cleveland Clinic. politics
Barrier surgery can cause stable weight loss in obese people who have not had long-term success with other weight loss attempts. There are various bariatric surgeries available. Gastric bypass gastrectomy is the most common procedure.
Bariatric surgery reduces stomach storage capacity, which limits food intake և helps you feel full sooner than usual. Some bariatric procedures also restrict calorie intake. Your doctor can help you decide if you are a candidate, and if so, which option is best for you.
“Health risks can increase with a higher body mass index. If your BMI is 35 or higher, it means that you probably need to lose more than 65 kilograms to reduce your health risk. says surgeon Walter Cha, a physician. “Without making changes, you can cause serious health problems due to being overweight. “Almost everyone with a BMI over 40 is a candidate for surgery.”
More benefits than weight loss
Barrier surgery offers people significant և stable weight loss.
“Many people who want to lose more than 65 pounds have tried several times to lose weight on their own,” says Dr. Chan. “While they may have some success in the beginning, less than 5% of people keep their weight for five years or more. “In fact, patients usually gain weight in less than a year.”
Losing weight վերականգ Restoring it does nothing to alleviate the potential health problems associated with obesity. You need to lose weight for at least five years to consider losing weight և what can make you happier և healthier.
The benefits of bariatric surgery outweigh the weight loss.
- Long-term remission for type 2 diabetes. One study reported that bariatric surgery caused long-term remission of type 2 diabetes. The results of this study show that the procedure is very effective for obese patients with type 2 diabetes, which allows almost all patients to abstain from insulin and other related medications for at least three years after surgery.
- Improved cardiovascular health. Weight loss surgery reduces the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral heart disease. In addition, one study even found that weight loss from surgery could prevent the risk of death from stroke, hypertension, and myocardial infarction. Blood pressure և cholesterol levels can return to normal or near normal after surgery, reducing these risks և improving overall well-being.
- Relieve depression. Many obese people feel depressed because of bad body image և social stigma. Even young people who are significantly overweight find it difficult to engage in activities that they would otherwise enjoy, leading to social isolation and depression. Losing this extra weight can improve the emotional health of these patients. It was found that in people who underwent bariatric surgery, depression decreased by 32.7%, and 6 to 12 months after surgery decreased by 16.5%.
- Eliminate sleep apnea. Reaching and maintaining a normal weight range often allows people with sleep apnea to stop using the CPAP machine before going to bed. About 80-85% of patients experience sleep apnea a year after surgery.
- Joint pain. Being overweight puts a lot of stress on your joints, often causing chronic pain and joint damage. Ari comes և stable weight loss that occurs after bariatric surgery relieves joint stress և often allows people to stop taking painkillers և enjoy more mobility.
- Improve fertility. Weight loss surgery can also improve fertility during the fertile years. One study found that bariatric surgery may reduce the risk of miscarriage բարել may improve the menstrual cycle in women who do not ovulate.
- Relieve other medical conditions. Weight loss surgery can alleviate metabolic syndrome, pregnancy complications, gallbladder disease, and more.
Obesity բ With the escalating rate of health complications associated with obesity, bariatric surgery is certainly a powerful tool for providing lasting care to overweight people. In making this decision, one can choose an institution with extensive experience in performing these procedures.
“Barrier surgery is very safe when performed by a knowledgeable, experienced team and poses no greater risk than knee or gallbladder surgery,” says Dr. Chan.
The best institutions have a team of experts to help guide people through preoperative counseling and provide ongoing support.
“Patients have the best chance of success when they are supported by an experienced medical team that includes surgeons, bariatricians, nurses, psychologists, endocrinologists and nutritionists,” says Dr. Chan.
Dietary adjustments after bariatric surgery
People with small abdomen who have had surgery should eat very slowly and take small bites.
“One of the most difficult adjustments for patients is that they can not drink liquids while eating,” says Dr. Chan. “Patients should drink their fluids at least 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating, but most people do not take long to adjust.”
Those who have undergone surgery are taking vitamin supplements, which are recommended by a nutritionist who advises patients after the procedure. Your dietitian may also recommend post-surgery diet plans and a specialized diet.
From weight loss to general health benefits, talk to your doctor about how you can lead a healthy lifestyle if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery.