By Noel Leigh, RDN, Pediatric Nutritionist
An essential element of long-term success in weight loss with bariatric surgery is the ability to adopt a new diet. Under the guidance of a registered dietitian, patients can learn how to make the necessary diet և lifestyle changes necessary for sustainable weight loss. Patients who consult a dietitian before and after weight loss surgery have been shown to experience more clinically significant weight loss and are less likely to experience weight gain. In addition, interacting with a dietitian can help keep healthy eating habits alive in the face of life’s challenges.
A strong indicator of a patient’s long-term success in losing weight is whether they are able to make dietary changes և lifestyle changes before surgery. Here are some tips to help you start your journey to ensure the success of your weight loss surgery.
- Start thinking about your eating tips. Surgery limits how much you eat, but not what or why you eat. Ask yourself if you are fed up with boredom, cravings, feelings, or physical hunger.
- Make a list of non-food strategies because when you want to eat, but it is not due to physical hunger.
- Eat as you have already had surgery. Focus on your eating habits, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, and chew your food well.
- Be accountable to yourself keeping a food diary.
- Focus on success, big or small. Your weight loss journey is unique to you. Do not let the progress of others discourage you.
Creating a strong support system is one of the factors that greatly influences the results, including weight recovery after surgery. Regular attendance at support group meetings has been shown to improve weight loss outcomes and enable patients to connect with other people with similar experiences. Food support groups provide continuing education on nutrition, exercise, and healthy behavioral changes. Torrance Memorial Medical Center offers a range of resources, lessons, and support groups that can be part of your support system, both to help you through difficult times and to celebrate your victories.
If you are planning or have a history of weight loss surgery, or are just looking for a lifestyle change guide, contact one of our registered nutritionists who specializes in bariatric surgery և weight management to schedule your personalized advice today. We are located at Torrance Memorial Specialty Center, 2841 Lomita Blvd., Suite 335, Torrance. Call 310-891-6707. https://www.torrancememorial.org/Nutrition:
Torrance Memorial Class & Programs:
Nutrition after Bariar surgery support group
Medical Nutrition Therapy / Nutrition Education և Health Program
- One-on-one consultation with a registered nutritionist (in-person visits or telecommunications)
- Location: Torrance Memorial Specialty Center | 2841 Lomita Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505:
- Contact: 310-891-6707
Core4 adult weight management
General Benevolent Support Group
Hungry “stuffed support group”
Diabetes lessons և support groups