Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It causes inflammation and ulcers in the intestines, this is where your body absorbs most of its nutrients from food.
Inflammation in your GI tract ները Symptoms such as diarrhea և abdominal pain can prevent you from absorbing enough nutrients, fluids և electrolytes. Weight loss, weakness և Muscle loss are signs that your body is not getting the nutrients it needs.
A well-balanced diet is an important part of UC management. Eating too little nutritious food can put you at risk for malnutrition. Malnutrition can make you feel tired and make it harder for your body to heal.
Managing your UC համագործակց working with your doctor: dietitian will help you maintain your weight և feel better during treatment.
It can. Weight loss is a common symptom of UC, especially when the condition is not managed. You can lose weight for several reasons.
Symptoms of nausea and / or vomiting may make you less interested in eating. Diarrhea և Some of the drugs you use to manage IBD can make it harder for your body to absorb nutrients from food. And inflammation can cause your body to burn calories faster.
IBD causes weight loss for several reasons.
- Do you have diarrhea? You may have six or more free bowels a day when you have an active symptom. Frequent diarrhea deprives your body of nutrients և can lead to weight loss. Some people with IBD eat less to avoid going to the bathroom too often.
- You feel very sick to eat. It is difficult to eat well with symptoms such as nausea and abdominal pain. When you have no appetite, you can eat fewer calories անյութ nutrients needed to maintain your weight.
- Do you have inflammation? There is more inflammation in your colon during a burnout, which can lead to severe symptoms such as diarrhea and loss of appetite, which can lead to weight loss.
- You have chronic inflammation. Increased protein requirements are often the result of chronic inflammation. When this happens, your body may begin to break down muscles այլ other fat-free areas of the body. Loss of muscle mass can lead to weight loss.
- Your doctor has prescribed you a liquid diet. Inflammation can leave areas of scar tissue called intestines. You may need to stick to a liquid diet until the inflammation subsides and the bowel does not heal.
Doctors do not recommend any diet for UC patients. The idea is to eat foods that provide you with enough calories, plus protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Work with a dietitian to find foods that you can tolerate that you like.
Certain foods can make UC symptoms worse. During fires, you need to avoid hard-to-digest foods and drinks, such as:
- Fresh fruits with skin and seeds
- raw vegetables
- dairy products such as milk and cheese
- whole grains
- sweet foods such as sweets and soda
However, you do not need to automatically eliminate all of these items from your diet.
Instead, divert your thinking to good things in life, such as eating a diary. Write down everything you eat, drink, and consider when your symptoms become inflamed. Share this blog with your doctor և nutritionist. Together you can develop a plan that ensures a balanced diet.
After burning, you can slowly add food to your diet. You will want to try to increase your calorie and protein intake to make up for lost time.
Here are some tips to help you gain weight.
- Eat four to six small meals a day to increase your daily calorie intake. Smaller meals and snacks are sometimes easier to tolerate than three large meals.
- Add more protein to foods such as fish, eggs, tofu and chicken.
- Eat more. If you eat food that agrees with you, չեք you do not feel full, go ahead ունեց have seconds. More food equals more calories.
- Fill your pantry and refrigerator with foods you enjoy that are easy to eat.
- Ask your doctor if you should take a dietary supplement if you are not getting enough nutrients from food alone.
Finally, talk to your doctor about UC treatment. Medications can help manage inflammation մ alleviate symptoms that prevent you from eating: gain weight.
The life expectancy of people with UC has improved over the years thanks to new treatments. People suffering from this condition can expect to live a full: happy life.
Some studies have found small differences in life expectancy. In one study, women with IBD lived 6 to 8 years և men 5 to 6 years less than those without IBD. This does not mean that your life will be shorter than the typical life of a healthy person without UC. They are just average.
Remember, there are ways to improve your vision. One of them is to see a doctor who is experienced in treating MT. Joining a treatment plan can improve both your life expectancy and your quality of life.
Ulcerative colitis երը The medicines you take to manage it can prevent your body from getting the nutrients it needs to heal. You may not be able to absorb the nutrients that your body absorbs during a burn.
Work with your doctor: dietitian to develop a diet that gives you the right balance of nutrients. Try different foods until you find foods that you can “enjoy” and tolerate.