Weight loss surgery. Do you have to choose it? Guidelines to follow before or after bariatric surgery & nbsp | & nbsp Photo: & nbspiStock Images:
- Bariatric surgery is a medical procedure that will help you realize your dream of losing extra pounds by making changes in your digestive system.
- However, you do need to know what to do before and after weight loss surgery
- The best results are achieved when a person knows what to expect after surgery
New Delhi. Losing weight is not the easiest task. People who have tried to lose weight probably know how difficult it can be. While there are ways to help you lose weight naturally, some medical conditions can help you gain weight and make it much harder to lose weight. Studies show that obese people find it harder to find a healthy weight. According to experts, bariatric surgery is the only effective option that leads to stable weight loss in patients suffering from morbid obesity.
Weight loss surgery not only helps you lose weight but also reduces the risk of obesity-related conditions. For example, one study found that weight loss surgery resulted in the long-term elimination of type 2 diabetes. Bariatric surgery will also reduce the risk of many serious conditions, including stroke, heart disease, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). It improves joint pain, gout, PCOS, improves infertility, and reduces the risk of many cancers related to obesity.
There are different types of weight loss surgeries such as gastrectomy, gastric bypass surgery, weight loss surgeries and more. Combined with diet and lifestyle changes, these procedures can help you achieve much more lasting long-term weight loss.
How does bariatric surgery help you lose weight?
“Bariatric surgery leads to many weight loss mechanisms. Limiting food intake, feeling full after a small meal, loss of appetite, nutrient abuse, hormonal changes, changes in intestinal bacteria, etc., are some of the mechanisms that will help you lose extra pounds. “Your bariatric surgeon will offer you the most appropriate surgery after a clinical evaluation,” said Dr. Aparna Govin Basker, Bariatric Laparoscopic Surgeon, Saifee, Apollo Spectra, Namaha and Currae Hospitals, Mumbai. Here, the doctor also explains some guidelines that individuals should follow before or after bariatric surgery.
Who Should Choose Weight Loss Surgery?
Competence in bariatric / metabolic surgery is assessed after a complete clinical evaluation of the bariatric surgery team.
- According to the guidelines of the Obesity Surgery Society of India (OSSI), a person with a BMI ≥ 35 kg / m2 has the right to bariatric surgery.
- An individual with a BMI ≥ 30 kg / m2 is also eligible for bariatric / metabolic surgery in the presence of two related conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
Here’s how to prepare for weight loss surgery
You will be advised to undergo a series of medical examinations before the procedure, և the relevant specialists will assess your medical readiness.
- You will need to follow some important dietary guidelines before surgery. This can take anywhere from 7 to 15 days, depending on your clinical description and weight.
- You will be required to avoid carbohydrate-rich foods; you will be invited to eat protein-rich foods. It is better to avoid sugars.
- Smoking առաջ Alcohol should be stopped before surgery.
- If your tests show a nutritional deficiency of vitamins, including iron or calcium, supplementation will begin before surgery.
- It is very possible to clear all your doubts, to be without stress before the operation. Therefore, the more you consult with your bariatric surgery team, the better.
What to expect after bariatric surgery?
- You will be fasting for 24 hours after the procedure. You will be kept on intravenous fluids during this time.
- You will be on fluid for the first 15 days after surgery. In the next stage, you will be on pureed food for 2 weeks. Food It is important to chew your food well, eat slowly և in small portions. Eating too fast or in large doses can cause chest pain or, in some cases, vomiting.
- In a month you will be able to start a regular diet. However, it will be very limited in size. You will be able to eat only 3 or 4 servings at a time. You need to eat very slowly և at least 30 minutes before each meal. It is also recommended to eat every 2-3 hours, as you will not be able to eat much at once.
- Sugar should not be avoided in foods rich in sugar and carbohydrates. Avoid fried foods and junk food right from the start. Time passes,: you will be able to eat more,: if you continue to eat the wrong type of food, you can start to lose weight.
- Include high-protein foods in your diet, such as chicken, eggs, lean meats, and more. Vegetarians can choose cheese, tofu, sprouts, etc.
- 2 to 3 months after surgery, you should choose low-impact exercises such as walking, yoga, stretching, and swimming. After 6 months, you can gradually resume strength training, cardio and weight training. You can exercise because it helps to tone and minimize skin sagging after weight loss.
Bariatric / metabolic surgery can be a life-changing procedure as it can help transform a person into a beautiful egg. However, people who adopt lifestyle changes after surgery և a healthy diet get better results և maintain their weight loss for a much longer time.
Refusal. The advice and suggestions in this article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or health care professional if you have any specific medical questions.