If you listen to a lot of fitness gurus online, you have probably heard of “calories versus calories” as the only way to lose weight.
Although the saying has certain merits, it does not fully explain the healthier, more effective approaches that lead to sustainable, long-term weight loss.
As a result, many people turn to calorie starvation, which can cause unimaginable damage to health.
In this article, you will learn why starvation is not a good idea for weight loss քաշ how to implement a healthier weight loss strategy.
If you are unfamiliar with the term, you may think that intermittent fasting is the same as starvation. However, when done properly, intermittent fasting can be a healthy և sustainable practice (
Intermittent fasting is a form of food that includes cycling between periods of “eating” and “fasting.” For example, the most typical horse 16. 8, which includes an 8-hour eating window և 16 hours of fasting (
Although intermittent fasting can help you lose weight, the goal is not to burn too many calories. Instead, you just eat your normal daily calories or a small calorie deficit every day for a shorter period of time (
On the contrary, starvation is usually defined as a long period of time without food or very limited food intake, which is significantly lower than your body’s daily caloric intake. This leaves your body with a large calorie deficit և will lead to unstable weight loss.
In general, nutritionists prescribe a very low-calorie diet, consuming 450-800 calories per day or less, which is not healthy or sustainable in the long run. As such, your body’s calories from starvation can cause many health risks չի not recommended (
Intermittent fasting is defined as eating for a period of time, while starvation involves keeping the food whole or eating very few calories over a long period of time.
To lose weight, your body needs to have a calorie deficit, which includes burning more calories through exercise and / or eating fewer calories. However, a larger calorie deficit does not always mean that you will lose weight.
Although you may experience significant weight loss at first, it can be difficult to maintain this weight loss in the long run.
Even more problematic, if you find yourself starving, your body’s mechanisms of survival can adapt to a sharp calorie deficit. This can interfere with your weight loss plan in the first place.
Slows down your metabolism
During the long-term loss of calories, your body begins to use its fat stores as a primary energy source, and muscle and skeletal tissue as a secondary energy source.
During menstruation, your body responds to calorie loss by lowering your metabolic rate (RMR) through adaptive thermogenesis (metabolic adjustment). This makes your body less efficient at burning calories while trying to conserve as much energy as possible (
This was shown in a historical study of 14 participants in the show “The biggest loser”. During the 30-week demonstration, participants lost an average of 129 pounds (58.3 kg); their RMR dropped from an average of 2,607 calories per day to 1,996 calories per day (
Although they were recovering an average of 90 pounds (41 kg), their average RMR remained low (1,903 calories per day) (
These results show that in order to maintain their weight, they need to consume fewer calories ծախ burn more calories, so it will be more difficult to maintain weight loss (
Recent studies, however, have shown that metabolic rate decreases unless you are low on calories. Most weight gain is thought to be due to excess calorie intake, which may be due to increased hunger «feeling” free “from losing calories (
Also, slowing down your metabolism can make you tired more easily. This is a strategic mechanism installed by your body that does not allow you to spend too much energy. Your body also increases the release of hunger hormones to stimulate you to eat (
After all, your body will work hard to prevent further weight loss by slowing down your metabolism, especially during prolonged starvation.
Your body is less efficient
Depending on the severity of the hunger, the limited number of calories, and the length of time, your body may begin to prioritize key body functions, such as breathing, heartbeat, and slowing down non-essential bodily processes, such as (
- Hair և nail growth. Your hair and nails can become brittle.
- Immunity Your immune system may have a harder time fighting infection և disease.
- Digestion ովի control of hunger. You may experience irregular or severe hunger, recurrent bloating, or upset stomach.
- Reproductive health. Your menstrual cycle may change or stop.
- Skin health. You may experience improper or delayed wound healing or premature aging.
- Bone health. Your bones may weaken.
Hunger puts your body in an unhealthy state, from which it desperately wants to get out. Although you can lose weight fast at first, your body needs enough calories to function properly; they will work hard to regain your weight and health as quickly as possible.
It can damage your mental health
Starvation այլ Other harmful dietary behaviors can impair mental well-being.
Starvation diet can lead to the development of eating disorders such as food restriction, fear of food choices, negative relationship with food, excessive exercise և body weight և obsession with size (
In severe cases, prolonged starvation can develop into an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge eating disorder.
If you believe you are starting to eat an eating disorder or eating disorder, talk to a health care professional who can refer you to a specialist. You can also contact the National Association of Eating Disorders for help.
Calorie starvation is not healthy or sustainable for your body. Over time, this can reduce your metabolism, cause your body to function less efficiently, and lead to poor eating habits.
Instead of risking your health in the name of weight loss, it is better to adopt healthy, stable habits.
Here are some scientific ways to help you lose weight.
- Aim for a small calorie deficit. Most studies suggest that a 10-20% deficit is stable and manageable. For example, if your maintenance calories are 2,500 calories a day, then through a healthy diet և exercise you aim to lose 250-500 calories a day.
- Increase physical activity. Aim for strength training, cardiovascular breathing exercises (running, walking, etc.) for at least 200 minutes a week, or about 30 minutes each day.
- Add strength training to your daily routine. Strength training helps maintain և build muscle while losing weight. Building more muscle can increase your metabolism.
- Limit processed foods. Try to make the most of your meals from whole, minimally processed foods, which are usually lower in calories, higher in protein, fiber, and healthy fats to promote fullness.
- Eat more protein. A high-protein diet can help maintain muscle mass during calorie deficiency.
- Drink mostly water. Limit sugary drinks, energy drinks և special drinks that are high in sugar: calories. Instead, divert your thinking to good things in life, such as water, aromatic water, and coffee.
- Go slowly. Most studies show that a steady, healthy rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week (0.45-0.9 kg). Therefore, slowly add new healthy habits to help you maintain your weight loss goals.
The best diets are affordable, fun և sustainable. Remember that not all weight loss is healthy. Focus on healthy eating habits that are energetic and enjoyable.
Starvation under the guise of weight loss is not healthy և stable. Healthy, steady weight loss is 1-2 pounds (0.45-0.9 kg) per week և Includes a nutritious diet and regular exercise to achieve a small calorie deficit.
Starvation under the guise of weight loss is not healthy և stable.
While it may be tempting to deprive yourself of food, your body will suffer. After a long period of starvation, your body’s metabolism may slow down, your body may not function properly, հոգ your mental health may decline. Although you can lose weight in the beginning, you will probably get it back.
If you are struggling to establish healthy eating habits or develop eating habits, work with a health professional to help you live a healthier life.